Why You'll Love Fortman Marina...
- Quiet, sheltered waters with excellent sunny weather
- All new shoreside facilities including general store, showers and bathrooms
- Mini park and large deck available for picnics, barbecues and other boat owner and guest activities
- Near by Haul-out facilities
- Yacht brokerage
- Home of the Alameda Yacht Club
- Lowest Rates in the Bay Area ..... Check!
Fortman Marina dates back to 1904, when the Alaska Packers
Association began purchasing waterfront lands bordering
San Antonio Estuary, Alameda. This safe and sheltered
anchorage was chosen to winter their large fleet of wooden
In 1926 the Alaska Packer Association was formally changed
to Fortman Basin. As time went on and wooden sailing vessels
became too old for the strenuous weather of the Northern
Pacific Ocean, the Alaska Packers Association purchased
large steel sailing vessels and the old barks were retired
from the service. Thus, it was at this time, in the early
thirties, that Fortman Basin began to experience change.
Pat Clintsman started the chain of events with his newly constructed Warren Craft, a motor cruiser that he
built in a boatworks building that used to exist at Fortman Basin. These vessels were launched and berths began to
appear along the Basins westerly shore.
Lou Hulsey purchased Fortman Basin Marina in 1935, and expanded it to 100 berths. At that time it was called
Hulsey's Sunken Gardens.
Pat Kirrane succeeded Hulsey in the early forties, renaming the facility Alameda Yacht Harbor, and it doubled in size.
Pat leased the harbor out during the war. In 1945, during Pat's absence, the boatworks was purchased by Walt Latham and
Emerson Doble. Fine wooden yachts, many of which still grace the slips of the harbor, were built there.
In 1954, Emerson Doble purchased Alameda Yacht Harbor from Pat Kirrane. From the years 1954-1967, the "Harbor"
as it is popularly called, grew to 300 berths. Once again ownership changed hands.
H.P. Anderson and company assumed ownership from the years 1967-1984. Again the Harbor grew and expanded in size.
In March 1984, Alameda Yacht Harbor was purchased by Hunting Gate Investments, Inc., and renamed it Fortman Basin.
Once again the harbor grew, to its present figure of 497 berths, and it is considered home port to some of
Alameda's finest yachts.
Stop by the Harbor Office to look at the priceless photographs of the Alaska Packers and Fortman Basin in their